January 16, 2009

This is so fricking cool

There have been a couple of experiences and people in my life that have just been so profoundly cool that they have changed my world view forever.

The first time this happened was when I studied in Salzburg, Austria. There, at the foothills of the Alps, I climbed peaks I had previously only imagined. But more than that, by experiencing different cultures, points of view and traditions I came to have a very different perspective on myself and my own part of the world.

Later I would stumble more than stride into a career in adventure education. But this choice, or series of choices, would allow me entry into a comunity of passionate educators, skilled outdoors people and thoughtful stewards. Norbert at Outward Bound Germany was an early mentor as was Franz with OB in the US. There are amazing people in this field!

Lately I've been discovering that technology, once something I actively avoided, has contributed to the richness of my personal and professional life in tangible ways. This blog has built connections with educators in other countries, exploring wikis connected me to Noelle's work, ultimately leading to friendships with Wendy, Avinash, Atila, and many others around the world!

More recently this whole series of interactions with the Banff Film Festival people has been so fricking cool! How sweet is it that the creative toolbox is cheap enough that mere mortals like me can pick it up and play with it?! How cool is it that my work of homage can be shared with the people that I'm honoring and they can interact with it too?!

In many ways, I now realize, I've been focusing the last few years on passing it on. Maybe I can be a catalyst for my students? I'm not sure, but so far the ride has been pretty amazing, and I can't wait to see where it leads next.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:43 PM

    Hans,
    following your technology journey has been inspirational. Since meeting you - you have pushed and inspired me to explore new forms of communication. I can only imagine the large impact you have had on your students.

    The time we are in today right now is only the begining. The amazing idea is the future. In 10, 5, most likely 3 years from now we will look back at where we "were" and feel like tech-nosaurs.

    I only hope that people like you are leading the "next" thing - inspiring students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm honored to be in such an amazing community of passionate educators!

    ReplyDelete